Signature Dish of LadyJane
Lamb & Spinach Curry
2 tblsp oil or ghee
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2" piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1.5 tsp turmeric
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp hot paprika
1 kg lean diced lamb
2 x 400ml coconut cream
1.5 tsp salt
2 curry leaves (optional)
1 pkt frozen 'Finessa' fine chopped spinach
- Heat oil in heavy pan.
- Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and all spices except salt.
- Fry for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- If mixture is too dry add a little water.
- Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Add lamb and toss through to coat with onion/spices.
- Fry further 10 minutes, stirring to prevent burning/sticking.
- Add thawed spinach and mix thoroughly.
- Add coconut cream and salt. Stir well.
- Add curry leaves, bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for at least _1.5_ hours covered.
- Remove lid and simmer till sauce reduces, usually 15-30 minutes.
This is an exceptionally hot curry, if you prefer a milder curry reduce by half the chilli powder and hot paprika quantities.
This recipe also lends itself to substituting chicken for the lamb.
Back to recipe index.